Did you know that when CommuniCare began as the Davis Free Clinic 45 years ago, we provided services in the basement of a local church? Or that we converted a milk delivery truck into a mobile clinic to serve farm laborers and immigrants and that we once provided much-needed health care services to 10,000 patients per year at a former grocery site? Since 1972, we have continued to provide high-quality health care for everyone, regardless of insurance status or ability to pay.
We have come a long way in 45 years! Today, we have grown our commitment to our community and continued to expand the services we provide to meet the needs of the individuals and families we serve. We believe that health care is a right, not a privilege, and our goal is to develop and maintain long-term, healing partnerships with you and your family. This summer we are celebrating 45 years of serving our community and joining in the nationwide celebration of National Health Center Week, August 13 through 19, that recognizes health centers like CommuniCare as the key to healthier communities. We are proud to provide a safe and inviting environment and offer high-quality comprehensive care to one in every nine residents of Yolo County at our health center locations in Woodland, Davis and West Sacramento.
Let’s take a look back at CommuniCare’s 45-year history:
- CommuniCare Health Centers began in 1972, when Dr. John H. Jones founded the Davis Free Clinic, bringing his vision and philosophy of offering high quality, affordable health care services to those without any health coverage in Yolo County.
- In 1973, we established a Women’s Health Program along with our Substance Abuse Treatment services. The Perinatal Program was added to our services in 1980 to provide comprehensive services by
Certified Nurse Midwives, Health Educators, Nutritionists, Social Workers
and Breastfeeding Specialists.
- Our Dental Program, for both children and adults, was added in 1990, offering full exams, X-rays, cleanings, fillings, oral surgery and more.
- In 1994, we opened a brand new Davis Community Clinic and expanded services beyond Davis, adding clinic sites in Woodland and West Sacramento.
- In 2007, CommuniCare became a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) as both a Community Health Center (CHC) and a Migrant Health Center. This means our health centers are community-based and patient-directed, providing a welcoming environment for anyone in our community regardless of health coverage or ability to pay.
- In 2013, we continued this commitment by opening the new Hansen Family Health Center in Woodland, to provide comprehensive health care services and meet the needs for primary care and behavioral health services in the growing community.
- In 2014, CommuniCare attained recognition from the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) as a Level 3 Patient-Centered Medical Home. This means CommuniCare provides the highest level of care in offering a health home that supports a long-term, healing partnership with each of our patients while ensuring the best possible health outcomes.
To kick off our 45th Anniversary, we have redesigned our website to be a friendlier space for our community – check it out at www.communicarehc.org! We look forward to continued services and amazing new projects. Check out our latest news and posts, including our
Guide to Summer Health! Learn more about our history, comprehensive health services and convenient locations and call us now to make your appointment!